hidden glory

Friday, April 20, 2007

the glories of GREEN

To many of you who are privileged to live in a place where spring is already in full bloom, you probably won't understand the beauty of these pictures. I'll give you the story behind it so that you can more fully appreciate how truly glorious GREEN can be.

Imagine two weary travelers who pull on their winter sweaters on yet another cold, gray morning in Philadelphia. One in particular hates to still be shivering when it's April and beyond Easter. She thinks that she should be wearing her white sandals and pastel-colored clothes now. But the first time she really got them out was in anticipation of this weekend trip to her hometown of Greenville, South Carolina. To these winter-dreary travelers, they are desperately in need of spring. There are little signs of it here and there: daffodils, forsythia, pink-blossoming trees. But no green leaves to speak of.

Imagine their wonder, joy and amazement when, after a brief four hour flight, they awake to find themselves in the land of green. The sun is shining so brightly that they need their sunglasses; its warmth invites them to shed their sweaters; and most of all the GREEN dazzles their eyes. The leaves are back! So rarely do you have the chance to experience both winter and spring in one day that it's easy to forget how absolutely glorious spring can be. Its wonder is not lost on these two travelers.

Imagine what's even more refreshing: the joy of seeing my family after four months; of celebrating with my "little" brother and my soon-to-be sister-in-law as they anticipate their wedding; of sharing a cup of Ginger Peach tea and heart-warming conversation on a Sunday afternoon with a good friend who will also be wed soon; of all that is familiar about home and parents and the church I grew up in.

Needless to say, I think I feel more alive after this past weekend. We still await the green leaves to blossom here, but we have gotten a taste of the vitality to come.

A few pics from the weekend...

Nicole and Jonathan opening up my parents' shower gift to them: a pancake griddle so they can carry on the famous Davis Saturday morning tradition of pancakes




My cousin Jillian and I in our Sunday morning best. She was our flower girl in our wedding. And she's growing so fast!




Seth with Jillian and her little brother, Logan. Doesn't he look like a natural? :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Just wanted to say Nicole and I really enjoyed having you and Seth around for the couples wedding shower! Let's all hope dad keeps the frequent flier tickets comin'!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 11:39 PM  

  • I admit I'm attempting to read between the lines but I think I'm detecting a little winter bigotry. There seems to be a hint of anti-winter (which would of course be unjustified from my perspective as a northerner) in your writings.

    By Blogger Dylan, At 10:36 AM  

  • Jonathan, thanks for your comment. :) We love dad's business trips...

    Dylan, I do confess I have become rather anti-winter this season. Or, let's say, it is just a bit more obvious than it usually is!! How do you purpose to fight such a problem?

    By Blogger Heather, At 8:46 PM  

  • The Saturday morning pancake tradition sounds like my family growing up...I'd love to carry it on with ours as well. We just need Haley to outgrow her milk and egg allergies to be able to do it!! Believing God for that one...

    So glad your weekend was rejuvenating. You and Seth look great! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

    By Blogger The Carsons, At 10:14 PM  

  • Alright, let's be serious...the "glories of GREEN"?!
    I think we all realize the not-so-subtle hinting at your obsession with illicit substances....

    By Blogger Unknown, At 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home