hidden glory

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

burdened

Throughout my counseling program at Westminster, God has been developing in me a deeper compassion for those who suffer. And I have asked Him for this even more so as I have started counseling this year.

God is answering it. But it's hard. It's difficult to be burdened for another. To truly have compassion in a way that moves one to action forces me out of my self-created comfort zone into a place where I feel my inadequacy. My love for convenience must be put to death ... and it has been with Christ on the cross. This is the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings.

It is a theme the past few weeks. There's a family member I am burdened for anew...who seems without hope. How humbling for "my job" to be to bring hope to others and I cannot seem to find the right words for him? There's a friend from church who has been brought to the brink of despair recently. And I don't know how to reach into her world when she is too weary to let anyone in. There's a counselee I saw who won't come back because it was too hard to relive her story as she told it to me. I can understand why. But I desperately want her to know the healing that Light brings into darkness!

I am burdened. And it is good to carry this weight...if I am lifting it up to the Father. There really is no other place for it.

Especially since I left my journal at the retreat center I went to with Chelten Baptist (where I'm working as a counselor & counseling center administrator now). When I called about it this afternoon, they said they found it ... actually that one of the grandkids of the owner found it. I wonder how much this kid read of it before he/she decided to turn it over! Now that's a humbling thought...!

2 Comments:

  • Heather, I posted this below, but I don't know if you saw it. Anyway...

    It's Jennifer Burns, from high school. I remembered seeing you in the Greenville News when you got married, so I just googled your married name, and I found your blog!

    I wanted to let you know that there have been some emails passed around about our ten-year reunion...email me if you want the information (or if you just want to catch up)!

    jburns at na dot cokecce dot com

    P.S. You look fabulous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:56 AM  

  • Jennifer Burns!! Great to hear from you. I would love to know more about what you're up to! I just emailed you...hopefully that goes through.

    By Blogger Heather, At 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home