hidden glory

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

beyond imagination...

March 29, 2006

As I traipsed into Central Park with my roommates on St. Patrick's Day, I stopped to take the photo above of the John Lennon memorial near 72nd st. The fresh flowers lining the stone memorial caught my attention, and the simplicity of the one word IMAGINE caught my eye. It was the perfect foreshadowing of an afternoon that would surpass my imagination.

I thought I was en route to a Broadway musical with Jen and Melissa--but this expectation dissipated when Seth called. The conversation was as follows:

S: "Where are you right now?"

H: "Central Park!"

S: "So am I!"

H: "No you're not!! [thinking...he's just kidding me]

S: "Yes, I am. Look to your left!!"

And time seemed to stand still once I glimpsed him standing about 50 yards off walking towards us. I froze. I could not believe it! That I had been tricked...completely unsuspecting! Jen had to remind me to "Walk towards him!" because I was in a state of surreal joy and shock.

He took my hand and led me to Bow Bridge. The next moments are a blur, yet I remember them as if in slow motion. He's reaching for the ring box; he's down on one knee; he's telling me he loves me and that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me; he's asking me to marry him. I'm saying, "I love you, too," I forget to say yes...I remember that I forgot and say, "Yes, yes, yes!" He's giving me a ring. "It's perfect!" I exclaim. We're delighted. I'm overwhelmed with joy. What a beautifully exquisite moment! One I've only imagined could happen to me. One I could never have imagined. Oh, our Father God is good...His love is so evident in these divine glimpses of joy...can the heart hold so much happiness at once?

And that is just the beginning of the story! The evening included a shopping trip on 5th Avenue, dinner with his parents at "The View" in Time Square, and then a weekend trip down to South Carolina from Sat. morning through Monday. Absolutely unbelievable...from beginning to end. For the best part is that this is simply the beginning of our new life together...

Ideas, tips, suggestions, & advice on how to stay sane during wedding planning are all VERY welcome for the next 5 months!

4 Comments:

  • Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations! I'm so thrilled for you. God is truly wonderful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:23 PM  

  • Hmm, is sanity a part of being engaged??? I don't remember using that word too much amidst dresses & flowers & registries. Just kiddin' You'll love it. But love being married even more. We're so excited for you guys. Glad you said yes. I think I forgot too :0) It's never like in the movies...but better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:39 PM  

  • Heather,

    I'm so happy for you!!!! How awesome! That's so exciting! What a great story! Maybe I'll get to see you again sometime soon . . . and meet Seth one day . . . It's crazy how much life has changed in the last year . . . for both of us! God is so good, and it's great to read about God unfolding His plans for you (and Seth)!

    Take care!
    Mary

    By Blogger Mary H, At 9:20 AM  

  • Congratulations!!!

    I understand how it is beyond imagination. The Lord truly does provide. Wedding planning will be crazy, but remember to be excited about marriage that begins after the wedding. Let your heart desire that, and everything else won't matter including the type of flowers you want.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home