hidden glory

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

remembering

I can't let today go by without remembering. Especially now that I live so close to all three hits: New York City, DC, and mid-PA. I heard about the memorial services being performed at each place, and I wish I had gone to remember.

Here's my poetic tribute instead.

"remembering 9/11"

Before:
innocence,
naivety,
impenetrable defense,
children playing happily in the streets,
businessmen going about their routines,
the Big Apple buzzing with activity
Unaware

Until
the unthinkable occurred
we were attacked by terrorists
Here.
Not "over there"
the towers fell
our proud self-confidence with them

After:
suspicion,
paranoia,
the fear of attack,
danger lurks on every corner
wives grieve, children fear
that today he might disappear
terror enters the American dream
National security?
Now exposed as a myth
(or a political ideal).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home