hidden glory

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Happy Birthday, Bryan!

My "little" brother turns 21 today. It makes me feel old to think about that. Here he is as I first remember him -- I'm holding Bryan in this picture as Jonathan stands beside me. I still remember as if it was yesterday the morning that Bryan came into the world. It was a Monday, and I was awakened with the news that Mom and Dad were going to the hospital and one of their friends was taking me to school. I was so excited all day, especially because I just knew that I was getting a little sister. (what I'd always wanted) I made it all the way to Art class in the afternoon before Dad came to school to tell me the news of Bryan Christopher's birth. I remember being disappointed that I didn't get a sister after all, as disappointed as 1st grade emotions can get.

But my appreciation for this brother has grown over the years, and I would never trade him for even the best of little sisters. Bryan has always been the one to make our whole family laugh...even when going through the darkest of trials. And especially whenever he was in trouble. Jonathan and I would get so upset at the way Bryan would get out of any kind of punishment just by making Dad laugh at him. (we know we suffered many more spankings than him for this reason) However, Bryan is also quick to point out that I was the devious one who would do something bad (like steal a cookie before dinner) and then succesfully convince my parents that it was Bryan who did it. His six years' younger logic couldn't stand up against mine.

So today he officially enters into equal maturity with me--as a legal adult. He got there much sooner than me, though. As I compare where he is now to where I was as a 21 year old...he's got years on me!! His faith has weathered more storms than I had seen by his age; he has a vision for his life, a strong sense of adventure (that led him to a road trip from Carolina to Colorado and back with his best friend upon high school graduation), that same impeccable humor that keeps him out of trouble, and a generous love for people that all of us who are close to him value.

Days like today the distance from Philly to South Carolina feels impossible. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you, Bryan, but just know that Seth and I "raise our glass" to you to wish you a very happy birthday!

1 Comments:

  • Brilliant! Bravo! Haha, thank you so much for that awesome note, blog, whatever the proper lingo is! Hope I will always be better to you than a little sister. Love ya'll bunch, Bryan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home