hidden glory

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

10 days till the aisle!



joy, fear, excitement, anxiety, anticipation, friends, family, hopes, dreams, bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girl, ring bearer, .... groom ... bride ... and all of these are my own thoughts and concerns as I consider walking down the aisle in 10 days. (don't let this picture mislead you; the wedding is not outside as South Carolina heat would not permit such an option even in late August)

And this isn't the aisle i walk as a bridesmaid; it's the one I walk as a bride.

Therefore all is intensified. all planning, thoughts, dreams, hopes, preparations. I will never walk this aisle the same way as I will walk it on a Saturday evening 10 days hence. This aisle (or rather the marriage covenant i will enter into at its end) will transform me from "Davis" to "Nelson", from "single" to "married," from "Miss" to "Mrs." Who will Heather Nelson be?

I cannot say. No one yet knows. It is strange to imagine this new name, this new identity, that will become mine by an act of God, the state, and the promises of a bride & a groom.

I will walk this aisle on my father's arm; and leave it on the arm of my husband. I will walk it as one of two...and leave it under the declaration of "the two shall become one...what God has joined together, let no one put asunder."

How not to be daunted by this aisle?

It is the face that awaits me at its end. That of my lover, the one who listens when I ramble on about the day's details, the man who loves me even when I am anything-but-loveable, my fiance...who will become my husband. It is my groom's face I will look for, be calmed by, delighted in, assured by. And even more so, the face of Christ that Seth reflects to me in 1000 ways. It is by the strength Christ will give us both that we can make such a covenant "till death do us part." Only in the face of Christ do fears, anxieties, and worries flee. Only in the presence of Christ as the ultimate officiant of this wedding ceremony do we dare make such promises to one another.


7 Comments:

  • Heather,

    I am so excited for you!!! What an amazing time! Praise God for how He brought Seth into your life . . . and for how He brought Brian into mine. Our God is good!

    Much blessings to both of you. . . soon to be Mr. and Mrs. Seth Nelson! I hope all the details come together for you! I am thinking of you!!!

    God bless!
    Mary

    By Blogger Mary H, At 3:21 PM  

  • heather! miss you! wish I could celebrate and witness this wonderful act of worship. God IS good! Go Phils! Was I the only one watching them that night? love ya, kimiko

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:03 AM  

  • Your entry touched my heart. I am excited for you. Sorry I'm going to miss the wedding but I can't wait for the after party in Philly. Know that you and Seth will me in my thoughts and prayers on Saturday.

    By Blogger Monica, At 9:42 PM  

  • We're excited for you both. Just celebrated 9 years the day you wrote this post!

    Praying for you,
    Brad & Stacey

    By Blogger Brad & Stacey, At 10:06 PM  

  • I am VERY VERY excited for you! Hope your honeymoon's went wonderfully!

    Brian Hayward
    brian@brianmelissa.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:37 PM  

  • YO, CHICA!! LET'S READ SOME UPDATES ON THIS THANG!!! I WANNA HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON MARRIED LIFE.

    I'll be around soon. I'm getting anxious to see you and get Elias down to the office.

    By Blogger geniene simrak, At 10:11 AM  

  • That may be my fave picture of you two. That is, before the gorgeous wedding shots! I am still on Cloud Nine and just from being your MOH :)...can't imagine your post-aisle jitters and smile. Wish we could have coffee today and digest it all.
    Loving you and Mr. Man,
    Katherine
    www.theskycity.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home